What do I do if I lost a pet?
We understand that losing a pet can be a devastating and stressful experience. It’s important to act quickly when trying to locate them. We’ve compiled some tips and tricks below to help you find your furbaby.
- If the pet is micropchipped, make sure it is registered!
- The only place that is able to take in strays is the Lowndes County Animal Shelter (not the HSVLC). We strongly recommend that you visit there as often as possible in person to identify your pet if it comes in. Pets at the shelter must go through a 3 day stray hold in the shelter, or 30 day stray hold in a foster home. After that time, they can be rehomed or adopted.
- Use social media! Post to your personal accounts as well as Facebook lost/found groups. Be sure to be descriptive about what area and time frame lost, distinctive marks, collar description etc.
- Use networking websites such as Finding Rover, Paw Boost, and Lost Cats Georgia
- Put up posters
- Put out an article of clothing or something that smells like you to help them locate home. If it is a lost cat, do not put their litter box outside as it can attract predators.
- Notify local vets and groomers. Be sure to give them a flyer to hang!
- Post to NextDoor.com
- Walk around your neighborhood and ask friends/neighbors to drive around and help you look.
- Be prepared to provide proof of ownership (pictures and vet records)
- Be smart when reclaiming your pet. Do not pay reward until you know your pet is safe and you have proof they actually have your pet. Meet in a safe, monitored location like the Police Department.